Medicare Supplement Plan High Deductible G acts like traditional Plan G. The only difference is that High Deductible Plan G has an annual deductible. In other words, High Deductible G becomes identical to Plan G once the deductible has been met. Keep in mind that neither Plan G or High Deductible G will pay for the Part B Deductible. Medicare Supplement Plan High Deductible G has an annual deductible of $2,340 in 2020. Therefore, your coverage will begin only after you have satisfied the deductible. However, you will find that the premiums for High Deductible G Plan are much less than Plan G. As a result, it is one of the most economical Medigap plans available on the market.
As a result of Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA), first dollar coverage plans were eliminated effective 1/1/2020. Therefore, Plans F, C and High Deductible are not available for Medicare new eligibles.
Medicare Supplement High Deductible G Benefits
Part A Hospital Coinsurance
- Days 61-90 of a hospital stay in each Medicare benefit period.
- Days 91-150 of a hospital stay. Medicare will only pay for these 60 days once during your lifetime.
Additional Part A Hospital Benefits
- An extra 365 days of inpatient hospital care after you use your Original Medicare hospital benefits.
Part B Coinsurance
- Pays for the Part B coinsurance. Part B co-insurance is 20%. But plan deductible ($2,340) must be met first.
Part A and B Blood Coverage
- Pays for the first three pints of blood per calendar year.
Part A Hospice Coinsurance
- Pays for outpatient prescriptions drug and inpatient respite care coinsurance. In other words, you pay nothing for hospice care.
Part A Deductible
- Pays for Part A Deductible. In 2020, the Medicare Part A Deductible is $1,408. Therefore, It increased $44 from 2019.
Skilled Nursing Facilities
- In 2020, the co-payment for skilled nursing is $176/day for days 21-100. It was $170.50/day in 2019. Therefore, it increased $5.50.
Part B Excess Charges
That is to say, if you go to a provider that does not accept Medicare assignment, that provider is allowed to charge an additional 15%. Above all, Medigap High Deductible G plan pays for the excess charges.
Foreign Travel Emergency
- Plan High Deductible G pays only for emergency care
- Pays only after you first meet and pay a $250 deductible.
- Pays 80% of billed charges for Medicare eligible expenses. Services must me medically necessary.
- Has a $50,000 lifetime maximum benefit.