Medicare Supplement Plan G is quickly becoming one of the most popular Medigap plans. According to AHIP, Plan G enrollment increased by 31 percent from 2016 to 2017, by almost 400,000 enrollees. The only benefit difference between Plan G and Plan F is that Plan G does not pay for the Part B deductible. On the other hand, rates are considerably lower for Medicare Supplement Plan G.
Part A Hospital Coinsurance
- Days 61-90 of a hospital stay in each Medicare benefit period.
- Days 91-150 of a hospital stay. Medicare will only pay for these 60 days once during your lifetime.
Additional Part A Hospital Benefits
- An extra 365 days of inpatient hospital care after you use your Original Medicare hospital benefits.
Part B Coinsurance
- Pays for the Part B coinsurance after you meet your annual deductible.
Part A and B Blood Coverage
- Pays for the first three pints of blood per calendar year.
Part A Hospice Coinsurance
- Pays for outpatient prescriptions drug and inpatient respite care coinsurance.
Part A Deductible
- In 2020, the Medicare Part A Deductible is $1,408. Medigap Plan G covers the deductible amount.
Skilled Nursing Facilities
- In 2020, the co-payment for skilled nursing is $176/day for days 21-100. Medigap Plan G covers the co-payment amount.
Part B Excess Charges
- If you go to a provider that does not accept Medicare assignment, that provider is allowed to charge an additional 15%. Plan G will cover that additional 15% charge at 100%.
Foreign Travel Emergency
- Plan G pays only for emergency care outside the U.S.
- Pays only after you first meet and pay a $250 deductible.
- Pays 80% of billed charges for Medicare eligible expenses for medically necessary hospital, physician, and medical care received in a foreign country. You would be responsible for the other 20%.
- Has a $50,000 lifetime maximum benefit.
Plan G Advantages:
- Plan G has fewer Guaranteed Issue situations than Plans A, C, and F – rewarding people with more stable rate increases
- Some people could save several hundred dollars by choosing Plan G over Plan F
- Even though people with Plan G pay the Part B deductible, they often save more in premium by choosing Plan G over Plan F
Enrollment by State
The following data is provided by Ahip.org and it is as of December 31, 2018:
- Texas leads all states with 254,314 enrollees in Plan G. For example, only Plan F has more enrollees.
- Illinois had 161,490 people enrolled in Plan G. Above all, Plan G has the 2nd most enrollees, only behind Plan F.
- Indiana had 113,457 enrollees in Plan G. That is to say only Plan F had more enrollees.
- Pennsylvania had 111,214 enrollees in Medigap Plan G. Plan F and also Plan G had more enrollees.
- Ohio had 110,710 enrollees in Plan G. In short, only Plan F has more enrollees but Plan N is a close third.
- Georgia had 90,411 enrollees in Plan G. More enrollees than all plans except Plan F.
- Virginia had 90,245 people enrolled in Plan G. Moreover, only Plan F had more enrollees.
- Missouri had 87,259 enrollees in Plan G. More enrollees than all plans except Plan F.
- Michigan had 85,583 people enrolled in Plan G. Behind Plans C and also F in total enrollees.
- Arizona had 74,748 enrollees in Plan G. Moreover, only Plan F had more enrollees
- New Jersey had 72,809 enrollees in Plan G. Plans F and also N had more enrollees.
- Tennessee had 70,799 people enrolled in Medigap Plan G. More enrollees than all plans except Plan F.
- South Carolina had 62,199 enrollees in Plan G. Plan G has more enrollees than the other plans except Plan F.
- Nebraska had 58,261 enrollees in Plan G. Plan G has more enrollees than the other plans except Plan F.
- Kansas had 53,829 people in Plan G. More enrollees than all plans except Plan F.
- Iowa had 47,065 enrollees in Plan G. More enrollees than all plans except Plan F.